From dsh <>
Subject Re: [Report] Apache Celix Hackathon
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2013 13:54:28 GMT

there might be a slight misconception between Bonjour and Avahi and what
each of both is. Avahi implements Zeroconf. That is the standard. Bonjour
is Apples implementation of Zeroconf and Avahi actually provides a Bonjour
compatibility layer. That means programs linked against Bonjour could as
well run with Avahi with the appropriate degree of luck.

Avahi is available on most if not all Linux distros and on BSD. Where
Bonjour is more or less OSX specific. That means both are complementary in
a way if you'd like to target Linux, Unix and OSX and thus your code base
must address this. AFAIK you are using CMake which could provide the
appropriate macros to allow building Celix against Avahi on Linux/Unix and
against Bonjour on OSX.