From Alexander Broekhuis <>
Subject [Native-OSGi] Progress update
Date Wed, 22 May 2013 07:17:33 GMT
Hi all,

Quite some time ago there was already something mentioned about Native-OSGi
[1]. To recap: Native-OSGi is an effort to create a common specification
for OSGi in C and C++. This effort was started by the CTK Plugin Framework,
nOSGi and Apache Celix and although it has been rather quiet, there has
been a lot of progress.

This progress is not as much on the technical front, but more on the
procedural front. During our initial talks we were asked if it would be
worthwhile to write the Native-OSGi specification as an OSGi Alliance RFC.
For us this meant a big boost in confidence wrt the specification. So of
course we said yes to this!

So in the past period we have been working on a RFP which is the first step
towards writing the RFC for Native-OSGi. And now about a week ago this RFP
has been published for the general public to read, discuss and comment on

For this work we would like to use Celix (and the Celix project) as home
for, and as, the reference implementation. While Celix is writtin in C,
Native-OSGi also specifies a C++ implementation, as such we do like to
extend Celix to also support C++, but also like to start some discussion
wrt a implementation in C++.

So I would like to invite everyone to read and comment to the RFP on [2],
but also would like to hear your comments regarding Celix and Native-OSGi
and as Reference implementation as a reply to this mail.

Kind regards,

Alexander Broekhuis