From Marcel Offermans <>
Subject Re: Introducing myself
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 22:06:47 GMT
Hello Pepijn,

On Apr 9, 2013, at 22:31 PM, Pepijn Noltes <> wrote:

> The idea is that the work Erik is doing for his assignment should be
> contributed to Apache Celix.
> If I am correct the Coperate CLA [2] which Thales has signed should make
> this possible.

Yes, legally that is what is needed.

Obviously in the end, it is up to the Celix community if they want to accept such a contribution,
but it sounds like it is something worthwhile!

> One option we are looking into is ZeroMQ, which is licensed under the LGPL.
> If I am reading the Third-Party Licensing Policy correct, this is legal, if
> we handle this as a optional add-on [3]. Am I correct on this ?

Actually, that page refers to [4] and as far as I understand, we can not include anything
LGPL in our source tree, so if using ZeroMQ requires us to use its API and that is LGPL then
we cannot do that.

> And do we find adding optional add-ons with non authorized licences
> acceptable for functionality not part of the core framework?
> Personally I think this should be ok, if it adds a significant advantages.

It's a tradeoff (see above). I would prefer to stick with things that are compatible.

Unrelated to Celix, but are you allowed to use LGPL at your company?

Greetings, Marcel