From Roman Shaposhnik <>
Subject Re: Celix release management/planning
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 04:25:03 GMT
On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Marcel Offermans
<> wrote:
> I agree with Roman that it's good to have some kind of plan or roadmap, feature or date
> Personally, I would like to see regular releases, even if they contain only minor updates.
> If big feature implementations would block releases, we could consider developing them
on feature branches.

With my mentor's hat on I'd say that 2 things are pretty important to
the project: understanding what the project plans (even if long terms)
are for the next release and being able to easily track those goals.

Personally, I expect every honest release to be a combination of the:
   #1 general feel of the developer community that this particular set
   of source code is 'good'
   #2 a user community vouching for the fact that by and large it
   satisfies their use cases
   #3 developer/PMC community vouching for the fact that to the best
   of their knowledge the bits that comprise the release are safe to
   use from legal standpoint
   #4 a signal to the downstream projects that they may latch onto the
   new set of bits and expect them to provide a stable based for them

Now, releases are NOT a given in the open source projects. In fact,
a massively successful OS project I happen to be a part of (FFmpeg)
used to make a point out of NOT having formal releases. The rationale
there was that even thought we all were extremely comfortable at
claiming #1/#3 pretty much for any arbitrary point of our trunk
(we practiced a 'golden trunk' development model) we had no resources
nor interest when it came to investing in #2 and #4.

That flexibility, of course, was a direct consequence of not being part of
any umbrella OS initiative. If you're just on GH or SF -- you can have any
governance model.

I think it would be fair to say that being an ASF project comes with an
assumption that you will find time and resources to invest into all 4
of the above things. To some extent it is a bit of a forcing function
(especially #3) and it needs to be budgeted in when a project decides
to go with ASF.

Hence, as a mentor, I'd expect Celix to figure out when it is time for
it to have such a next milestone. It doesn't have to be full of exciting
new features, it just has to provide some level of incremental
progress and also deliver on #1-#4.

Let me know if you guys need any help with driving the release. Also,
I think at some point I might inquire about somebody potentially
volunteering as an RM.

View raw message