From Alexander Broekhuis <>
Subject Re: Celix release management/planning
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2013 08:34:32 GMT
Hi all,

If the majority of the committed people think a date driven release is
needed, I am fine with it. But..

I prefer a date drive release because of two reasons:
> - community growth: I expect a better visibility of the project if it has a
> clear set of release dates and I expect that a clear set of release dates
> will lower the threshold to participate in the discussion what should be
> developed in which release. So this should help for #2.

I can agree with this one, although I still think making a release for the
sake of a schedule is wrong. And imho also gives a wrong sign.

> - keeping pressure on the project: Even though we only have 2 committers
> with little time, or maybe especially because, I think is paramount that we
> have a always have clear release goal and date to keep some pressure on the
> development. Date driven releases will enforce this. I know for me this
> will help in planning some spare time for Apache Celix. Also for legal
> perspective (#3) regular - maybe small - release would IMO be better, that
> way we enforce that Celix has a periodic legal check.

This is a personal opinion. At the moment I am not involved in any project
using Celix. So all the work I do, is done in my (limited) spare time. So I
can't and won't commit to a schedule which expects a certain feature at a
certain date.
So while I agree with a clear release goal, I can't give any guarantee
(from my point) for a release date.

> As for a release frequency I was thinking about quarterly releases. So a
> release in March, June, September and December.

If we go on with a schedule, I don't have any objections to these dates.

> That being said, I have no real problems with feature driven releases, _if_
> we ensure we always have a clear date for the next release.

See my remarks above, I can't and won't give any dates at this time.

All in all, we should keep in mind that there are only 2 committed people
[2]. While I really value (and cannot do without) the ideas/remarks of the
mentors, they are formally merely here to guide us through the incubator
[1] wrt the Apache Way. I can't find any docs stating that a release
schedule and/or fixed RM is needed. Looking through several projects, there
are a few wo have a schedule, but many don't. I do welcome any commitment
regarding releases/code/features, and would love to see our mentors be
involved in the development as well. This would give us more leverage
regarding a release schedule. At this moment if any one of us is
unavailable, a schedule would be useless instantly.

So to summarise, we should come up with an acceptable way of working, which
fits within the Apache Way and to which I feel comfortable. Don't get me
wrong, I wish I could invest more time in Celix, but I have to make
choices. Forcing me to do something which would contradict with these
choices would push me away from Celix. And that is something I surely don't
Stating this doesn't mean I always object against a schedule, it is just
the current project size and personal situation which makes it a problem
for me.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis