From Alexander Broekhuis <>
Subject Re: framework use some unix's function, not apr
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:24:42 GMT

As I understood it, your referenced link is about sharing module handles
> between different processes.

> I am not a Windows DLL expert but I think the following is true (maybe
> there are some tricks on the Windows platform, but they would definitely be
> non-standard):
> Vaguely speaking, the Windows linker resolves symbols at link-time,
> contrary to the default behaviour of the ELF linker, resolving symbols
> lazily at runtime. Therefore, the concept of a symbol search path makes not
> much sense on Windows (except for the search path defined by the link-time
> dependencies). Consequently, dynamically loaded libraries on Windows do not
> affect symbol resolution of subsequently loaded libraries so their symbols
> are never "global". RTLD_GLOBAL on POSIX systems adds the symbols of the
> loaded library to the global search path, hence they can be used by the
> dynamic linker to resolve symbols of subsequently loaded libraries. There
> is no such "global symbol search path" on Windows (AFAIK).

If this is the case then Celix won't have a problem on Win32 systems...
Even more, the behavior of APR is inconsistent.. on Linux based systems
GLOBAL is the default, while Windows doesn't have a GLOBAL equivalent. I
would have thought the default APR behavior to try to be the same over
multiple platforms..

Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis