From Marcel Offermans <>
Subject Re: framework use some unix's function, not apr
Date Sat, 24 Nov 2012 20:53:15 GMT
On Nov 24, 2012, at 18:03 , Alexander Broekhuis <> wrote:

> Thanks for your interest in Celix! Sadly the code base currently only works
> on Linux based systems (including Mac OSX).
> The main reason for this is that currently no developer uses windows as
> target platform. We have been working on supporting VS, but there still is
> some work which needs to be done.
> The two biggest issues are:
> * Use APR everywhere
> * Change code to C90
>  The current codebase is c99, while VS only supports C90. Most work will
> go into moving variables to the top of a block since c90 doesn't support
> variable declaration anywhere…

Admittedly a lot of work, but probably not that difficult.

> Also, the use of dlopen and dlsym is a little bit more tricky, Celix relies
> on "local" loading of the libraries. But APR doesn't support passing these
> arguments.. This can easily be fixed by using a ifdef windows, ifdef linux
> etc..

Did anyone raise such a feature request in the APR project, or am I now proposing something
impossible? After all, the Apache web server, one of the biggest users of APR, runs on Windows
as well.

> But we do like to have Celix working on Windows as well, so I am willing to
> help with the implementation (though my time is limited) and if there are
> any patches they will probably be committed pretty fast.

Exactly, patches would be very helpful in this area. I also remember that Microsoft offers
support in porting Apache projects to Windows (or at least they did) by offering licenses
of their development tools. I'm not exactly sure how to get them anymore, but as a mentor
I can definitely ask around if anyone is interested?

Greetings, Marcel

View raw message