From Mohammad Nour El-Din <>
Subject Re: Native OSGi
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2012 21:08:45 GMT
Hi Alex...

   Great news

But I have a question ? Why making the native implementation only directed
to C and C++ and not making these specs for *native* implementation as in
terms of native in languages other than Java in which on OSGi compliant can
be implemented not intended to run over the JVM ?

Thoughts ?

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Alexander Broekhuis

> Hi all,
> As mentioned on the list, last week we had a meeting to discuss the future
> of Celix and the possibilities for C++ bindings.
> This meeting was attended by:
> * Sascha Zelzer (CTK Plugin Framework)
> * Marcel Offermans (Celix Mentor/Champion)
> * Pepijn Noltes (Celix Committer)
> * Myself (Alexander Broekhuis) (Celix Committer)
> Even though Sascha was the only "external" person, he received some input
> from two other OSGi like frameworks (nOSGi and SOF).
> A summary of this meeting, as well as a rationale for native OSGi
> solutions, can be found on [1]. Most notably is that we see a shared
> interest and a need for a standardized specification (API, Bundle format,
> etc) to be able to share and reuse bundles between those projects.
> To this end we have set up a repository on GitHub [2] with the goal to have
> one place for shared resources. For example header files, specifications
> etc. We like to call this the Native OSGi specification.
> Since this effort will try to provide a solution for C as well as C++, the
> GitHub repository will also be used to share C/C++ bindings. This makes it
> possible to use/implement bundles in a natural way for both languages.
> == So what does this mean for Celix?
> From this point on we like to see Celix as a reference implementation for
> the specification. So there will probably some changes to the codebase. The
> impact of these changes still have to be researched and discussed.
> For a start, the information on the GitHub repository has to grow to
> something which can be used. To reach this we need a medium for some
> discussions, and we want to use the Celix mailing list for this.
> While this is a good start, this will still take a lot of work. I am
> looking forward to these discussions, and think this is the right direction
> to go!
> Feel free to participate in these discussions and provide input where you
> all see fit!
> [1]:
> [2]:
> --