From Pepijn Noltes <>
Subject Re: [Native-OSGi] Usage of arrays vs collections
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 18:40:17 GMT
Hi All,

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Alexander Broekhuis
<> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm working on extracting the OSGi API's from Celix to the Native-OSGi
> project. Celix uses a utils library through which Lists and Maps are
> provided.
> How do we want to solve this in the API? Following the OSGi API, often a
> simple array is used (Celix uses an ArrayList in those cases). But the Java
> Collection/Dictionary etc are also used.
> A simple/portable solution would be to use arrays with an additional return
> parameter for places where a collection/list is used. For example:
> int bundleContext_getBundles(bundle_context_t context, bundle bundles[],
> int *entries);
> A similar solution can be used for Dictionaries as well, a simple key/value
> struct can be used.
> How do we want to solve this? I don't know of any standard C library, and
> what about C++?

C++ has C++ Standard Library (STD), which contains arrays, queues,
maps, etc and is - if i am correct - part of the C++ standard.
Because C does not have this, I think the purposed solution is a good one.

An other option is to make the needed C collections part of the OSGi
API. Which has the advantages that we can use linked arrays, hash
maps, etc. The drawback is that we impose a API for something which is
clearly not part of OSGi.

View raw message