From Alexander Broekhuis <>
Subject Project structure
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 10:17:16 GMT
Hi all,

Currently Celix uses a rather fixed project structure for the core
(framework) and other bundles. To be able to build anything, all
dependencies for everything need to be available. This now results in a
long list including GTK etc. This doesn't make much sense when only the
framework needs to be build.

To this end I've been working on some ideas for a more separated
project/build structure, and I'd like to propose it here:

Each subproject will be a separate CMake project, if a project can be a
dependency to another project it has to provide/generate a {Project}Config
file like discussed on [1].
Projects having dependencies will use find_package({Project})

This solution requires that project at least have run the cmake configure.
To be able to automate this two possible solutions come to mind:
The first one is a cmake command which takes care of
downloading/building/installing projects [2]
The second one is more simpler and calls the cmake executable on the
dependent project. In this case the {Project}Config takes care of building
the project.

At this moment the second solution makes more sense for Celix, the trunk
contains all projects, and everything is downloaded at once.
I have created a simple example for this, if anyone is interested in it I
can upload it somewhere.

Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions regarding this problem?

Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis