From Pepijn Noltes <>
Subject Re: [Native-OSGi] OSGi API: Allocated memory ownership
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 11:12:56 GMT
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Alexander Broekhuis
<> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm looking to extract the current Celix API to the Native-OSGi project,
> and running into some issues related to data/memory ownership.
> Celix uses APR and memory pools for memory management. In cases where the
> API returns some data, the user supplies a pool, and the framework
> allocates the needed memory on that pool. This makes the user the owner of
> the data.
> At the moment Celix doesn't solve this nicely, sometimes data is allocated
> on the supplied pool, sometimes a pointer is returned.. But this is another
> issue.
> Some examples of this can be found in bundle.h, eg bundle_getEntry.
> In the Native-OSGi specification we don't want to use APR (or impose it on
> others), so basically the question is, how do we want to handle functions
> where some data is returned?
> Some possible solutions:
> - Keep it on the call stack, so it gets out of scope.
> - Ignore APR, and allocate the memory, making the user responsible for
> freeing it.
> Are there any other options I am missing? And is there a common solution
> for problems like this?

Another option is to let the user provide a buffer and its size. Then
the user can choose to use a pool,the stack or malloc/free. The
downsize is that you do not known how big the buffer has to be and
therefore there is change that the buffer is to small and additional
action / return parameter is required.

View raw message