From Alexander Broekhuis <>
Subject Board report
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2012 11:02:05 GMT
Hi all,

Our next board report is due this wednesday!

An important part of the report is the graduation plan. I already sent
something to the list a few months ago, and would like some feedback on it!

Celix is an implementation of the OSGi Specification in C.

Celix entered incubation on November 2, 2010.

The last month we received or first large code donation, the code still has
to be added to the project. This code is an implementation of the OSGi
Device Access specification for Celix and has been made by Thales
Netherlands. Together with this donation a new committer (Pepijn Noltes) is
accepted. Pepijn has developed and will maintain the Device Acces code.

We have also been working on a graduation plan which is included below.

Most important issues are:
* Improve robustness (APR, error handling etc), resulting in a first release
* Generate awareness and grow a community!

Graduation Plan

Celix is in incubation since November 2010. During the first one and a half
year talks where given at several conferences (EclipseCon, ApacheCon, OSGi
User Group meetings, etc).
Even though there seems to be an interest in the project, two important
questions keep coming up:
- What is the state of the project?
- Why no support for C++?

Trying to answer/solve these two questions might make it able to attract
more community members. So this plan will focus mostly on these two items.

= State of the project

== Releases
Celix entered incubation in its early stage. There was only a proof of
concept, but no complete implementation.
This is an important reason for people to hold back and not yet use/improve
Celix, on the other hand,  being hesitant also keeps Celix from growing
towards a more stable/robust solution.
To be able to use Celix the implementation has to reach, at least, a more
stable state. Over the past year lots of effort has been put into this.
Within the next half year a release has to be made of the core component of
Celix. Hopefully this will attract more users/testers (and potentially

== Committers
*During the last months there has been an interest from Thales Netherlands
to use Celix in its middleware. In a research project they are working on
an implementation of the Device Access specification. This implementation
is donated to Celix, and the main developer has expressed the intention to
maintain the code base. Via this path a new committer has been added to
Celix [1][2].
*But to be able to have a diverse community more committers are needed.
Having a release makes it easier for people to use and improve Celix. This
is one step towards more committers.

= C++ Support

== Technical Scope
Currently Celix is limited to C only. This was a deliberate choice since
Celix tries to target  embedded/constrained platforms. But during talks
people also seem to be interested in C++ support. Extending the technical
scope of the project might attract more users and committers.
Over the next half year we will work out a plan how C++ support can be
added without impacting the current supported platforms. A start with the
discussions has been made on the mailinglist, see [2] for more information.

== Cooperate with existing C++ OSGi like implementations
In [3] a list of similar projects is mentioned. Reaching out to these
projects and trying to find a common ground on requirements/API etc could
benefit Celix (and those projects as well).
To see if there is a common ground we need to contact those projects and
plan a meeting.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis