From Pepijn Noltes <>
Subject Re: Celix services and struct inheritance
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:07:42 GMT
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Marcel Offermans
<> wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2012, at 13:54 PM, Alexander Broekhuis wrote:
>> Hi,
>>> In Java, you already have the option of registering an instance under
>>> multiple service names. Would doing the same for C solve your issue?
>> This can only work if something like struct inheritance is being used. In
>> the case of Java, one component can implement multiple services. In Celix,
>> a service is a struct with service pointers. So there is always a one
>> (name) to one (struct) relation. To be able to have one component with
>> multiple services, and still be able to only retrieve one specific service
>> something like struct inheritance is needed.
>> Another possibility is to register service - component pairs. This way one
>> service has a specific struct with function pointers and no struct
>> inheritance is needed. It is up to the user to always use the correct
>> service name to retrieve the needed struct.
>> So when trying to follow the spec, struct inheritance makes more sense. But
>> there are possibly more drawbacks, when using struct inheritance the first
>> field has to be the parent struct (not a pointer), this implies that
>> abstract data types can't be used, exposing the content of a struct to the
>> user.
> Fair enough.
>> As a note, in the Java case, is it acceptable to register service A and B
>> with one component, and when retrieving service A cast it later to B? In
>> other words, if a different service is needed, does a user need to do a
>> getServiceReference/getService again?
> In general I would say no. When you lookup a service in the registry, you have no way
of knowing who provided it (without doing more work) so I would never depend on something
like this. Even if you know there is an implementation that publishes A and B with the same
backing instance (and using one single ServiceRegistration) there might be some interceptor,
hook or proxy that you don't know of.

Ok, so in Java you would solve this by looking up a B service the same property as A or another agreed on/specified property ?

> Greetings, Marcel

View raw message