From Marcel Offermans <>
Subject Re: Poddling status
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 06:55:23 GMT
On Jan 11, 2012, at 7:30 AM, Alexander Broekhuis wrote:

> On the incubator list a discussion is going on about slow/small poddlings
> and how to handle these. Celix is one of these poddlings.
> For Celix I see the following problems (at least):
> - No community growth (or not visible..)
> - No new committers
> - No releases made
> I think a plan is needed to see how we can move Celix towards graduation,
> how we can get a community, more committers etc.

Agreed. The Incubator PMC in particular is interested in learning how the community intends
to address the issues that prevent a podling from graduating. They feel that, especially after
being in the incubator for over a year, a graduation plan should be drafted.

> Looking at the three items, the first two will be the most difficult, and
> require the most attention. We have been working on visibility, going to
> the EclipseCon, ApacheCon and several other smaller local community events.

Again, I agree. While it is time to make a release as well, and this might actually help people
who want to take a look at Celix, the main issue that needs to be addressed is the size and
diversity of the community.

At these events you mention, no doubt you have talked directly to a bunch of people. Could
you somehow summarize their feedback?

What other communities can we possibly reach out to, and how?

> I'd like to hear what people following this list think of these problems,
> and how we can move towards a healthy community. What is holding you back?
> What is needed to be able to adopt Celix? Feel free to express any concern
> or opinion you have. Either technical, documentation etc.

One question I've been getting occasionally is: "does Celix also work with C++?".

From a use case point of view, I think we could explore the scenario where you have Java application
that uses native code. Mostly, this is now done using JNI which has the downside that it can
take the whole JVM down if something goes wrong in the native code. From a robustness point
of view, this is unacceptable, and I think Celix can be used to provide a better implementation.
With this use case, we can target any Java project that uses native libraries, which in turn
might help growing our community. Such use cases are probably interesting enough to write
about on all kinds of Java sites.

Greetings, Marcel

View raw message