From Sascha Zelzer <>
Subject Re: Poddling status
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:41:25 GMT

I am following the Celix efforts with interest, but I am also more
interested in C++.

In my opinion, Celix could try to reach out to other projects and their
(probably small) community implementing a OSGi - like environment. If
efforts could be concentrate, or some kind of interoperability be
achieved, this would be awesome. Projects in my mind are Poco
(commercial), SOF, and CTK.

I tried to start some discussions about that a while ago, but
unfortunately did not get any replies:

On 01/11/2012 01:32 PM, Martim wrote:
> I think that the c++ point is a good one. Given celix as a universal
> osgi, how language bindings enter in scene?
> Other languages communities could benefit by having a osgi
> implementation. Object oriented languages tend to have a community more
> open to this kind of development (service oriented) than c community. As
> a c++ developer I would love if I could use a good osgi implementation
> with a good community support and Apache as the infrastructure provider
> in my daily work (currently we are using SOF
> (, which is good but with almost zero
> support). Python, Ruby, .net world, all that could benefit too.
> Thanks,
> Martim
> Em 11/01/2012 06:04, Pepijn Noltes escreveu:
>> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Marcel Offermans
>> <>   wrote:
>>> Agreed. The Incubator PMC in particular is interested in learning how the community
intends to address the issues that prevent a podling from graduating. They feel that, especially
after being in the incubator for over a year, a graduation plan should be drafted.
>> Concerning the Celix community growth, at Thales Netherlands we are
>> currently working on a research project in which Celix plays a big
>> part. We are exploring the opportunity to use Celix as a middleware
>> solution - replacing our propertairy solution - in our Radar
>> development. We strongly feel this is going to be a succes and are the
>> moment busy developing the OSGi Device Access Specification in Celix.
>> We are planning to send a patch in the coming weeks. Hopefully this
>> helps in supporting Celix :)
>>> Again, I agree. While it is time to make a release as well, and this might actually
help people who want to take a look at Celix, the main issue that needs to be addressed is
the size and diversity of the community.
>>> At these events you mention, no doubt you have talked directly to a bunch of
people. Could you somehow summarize their feedback?
>>> What other communities can we possibly reach out to, and how?
>>> One question I've been getting occasionally is: "does Celix also work with C++?".
>>>   From a use case point of view, I think we could explore the scenario where
you have Java application that uses native code. Mostly, this is now done using JNI which
has the downside that it can take the whole JVM down if something goes wrong in the native
code. From a robustness point of view, this is unacceptable, and I think Celix can be used
to provide a better implementation. With this use case, we can target any Java project that
uses native libraries, which in turn might help growing our community. Such use cases are
probably interesting enough to write about on all kinds of Java sites.
>> Good idea. I also think a working scenario with Celix instead of JNI
>> is worth presenting to different Java user groups.
>>> Greetings, Marcel
>> Greetings,
>> Pepijn

View raw message