From MULDER Frank Willem <>
Subject RE: some remarks and questions
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 07:53:16 GMT

        Thanks for your replies, herewith my responses (in bold characters):

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexander Broekhuis []
Sent: Monday, 29 August, 2011 23:03
Subject: Re: some remarks and questions

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your interest in Celix! See my answers inline.

1.       For several applications, I need to select and follow a service,
> based on its properties. In  the current service tracker
> implementation, on service creation, one can only give the service class name as a parameter.
> In the Felix (java OSGi) implementation one can, alternatively, give a
> LDAP filter as parameter. The full Felix interface needs to be provided in Celix.

First off all, it is important to understand that Celix isn't simply an implementation of
Felix in C. It goes a little further, it tries to implement the OSGi specification in C. (Felix
probably is a good reference for this, but not leading). For example, the ServiceTracker is
a utility made available by the OSGi Alliance, and not made by the Felix team.

To answer the actual question, the Celix service tracker is indeed missing this API, and this
has to be added. Please add a bug entry to our Jira (

----- I added issue CELIX-17

> 2.       The processing of a bundle's manifest file (in celix) is not
> robust for whitespace and lacking carriage returns, e.g. in the
> Services-Import/Export lists.  I don't know whether the OSGi spec says
> something about this, but it would save the developers a lot of time
> when robustness was built in.

I am not sure on this one, the answer is probably two-fold. First, the manifest files in OSGi
follow the Java JAR manifest file rules. These rules state that a manifest file has to end
with a newline. So this is intended behaviour.
The second one is probably a bug, again, please add a bug.

------------- I created issue CELIX-18

> 3.       In some OSGi applications a resource file is used, see e.g. the
> paint example of the book "OSGi in Action". Here some .png files are
> used in the application to display icons on a user interface. In the
> book "OSGi in Action" it is possible to get resources through the
> bundle object, see listing 3.17 of "OSGi in action". Is the resource
> interface already implemented in Celix?
I am not sure what interface the examples use, but as of now this is limited in Celix to only
the "bundle_getEntry" method to retrieve a named entry from the bundle.

Again (as you probably guessed ;)), feel free to add bugs for the missing functions.

-------  I must admit that I don't know the difference between getEntry() and getResource().
 I need to look further into these API's.

> 4.       I have implemented some of the easier examples of the book 'OSGi
> in action' (that concerns Felix, a java implementation of OSGi) in
> celix. I have sent the code to 'celix' and hope that these will be
> provided in celix's svn repository in the near future.

The examples are greatly appreciated! If I find some time, I will definitely add them. First
I would like to browse a little through the code and see if it all fits in the current structure.

> 5.       In the Celix environment, cmake is used for building.  I have an
> implementation of the paint-example in Celix, that uses the GDK
> environment as an external library. In the makefiles of GDK
> applications, one generally uses the 'pkg-config' tool to find
> information about include-files and libraries of GDK.  In cmake one
> can use the FindPkgConfig macro, by adding the following lines:
>                                Under MacOS, cmake has some problems
> using the link directories, communicated in the 'link_directories()'
> commands in the 'target_link_libraries()' command. The
> 'pkg_search_module()' finds the correct link directories. I need to
> look deeper in this problem, but maybe someone already has experience
> with cmake files and knows the solution to the problem.

This one I can't answer easily, I would have to take a look into it. Isn't this something
related to the fact that GTK normally isn't available for the mac?

----- I have installed GTK on the mac and with make (i.s.o cmake) the pkg-config command works
fine.  If you don't have a solution readily available, I'll look into it myself, as it is
not really related to Celix

Agains, thanks for your interest, looking forward to more!

Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis

If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please notify the sender and delete it.

Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of this email or its attachment(s) is
Thales Nederland BV will not accept liability for any damage caused by this email or its attachment(s).

Thales Nederland BV is seated in Hengelo and is registered at the Chamber of Commerce under
number 06061578.