From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Reasonable range for the max number of tables?
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2014 22:50:50 GMT
Read https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-5935, especially the part about “having
more than dozens or hundreds of tables defined is almost certainly a Bad Idea”.

Either way, try a POC that simply creates your 720 tables and see what happens. And let us
know how well it works, and whether SSD is somehow different from HDD.

It’s not so much that there is a hard “limit”, so much as not being able to sleep soundly
at night knowing that you’re “pushing it” so far that suddenly, out of nowhere, after
things seeming to be fine fro an extended period, everything suddenly falls apart, with no
warning.

-- Jack Krupansky

From: Robert Coli
Sent: Monday, August 4, 2014 4:54 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Reasonable range for the max number of tables?

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Kevin Burton <burton@spinn3r.com> wrote:

  What are the bottlenecks here ?  Is this an HDD issue because we're running them on SSD.
 I agree that that would be significant on HDD ...

Heap consumption. There are probably some JIRA tickets touching on the memory consumption
of large numbers of tables, I suggest searching there... it has come up about 15 times on
this list in the archives too.. :D

=Rob