From KZ Win <kz...@pelotoncycle.com>
Subject how do i know if nodetool repair is finished
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2014 09:46:22 GMT
I have a 2 node apache cassandra (2.0.3) cluster with rep factor of 1. I
change rep factor to 2 using the following command in cqlsh

ALTER KEYSPACE "mykeyspace" WITH REPLICATION =   { 'class' :
'SimpleStrategy', 'replication_factor' : 2 };

I then tried to run recommended "nodetool repair" after doing this type of
alter.

The problem is that this command sometimes finishes very quickly. When it
does finishes like that it will normally say 'Lost notification...' and
exit code is not zero.

So I just repeat this 'nodetool repair' until it finishes without error. I
also check that 'nodetool status' reports expected disk space for each
node. (with rep factor 1, each node has say about 7GB each and I expect
after nodetool repair that each is 14GB each assuming no cluster usage in
the mean time)

Is there a more correct way to determine that 'nodetool repair' is finished
in this case?