From Kevin Burton <>
Subject Re: Fetching ONE cell with a row cache hit takes 1 second on an idle box?
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2014 01:50:39 GMT
so.. caching the *queries* ?

it seems like a better mechanism would be to cache the actually logical
row…, not the physical row.

Query caches just don't work in production,  If you re-word your query, or
structure it a different way, you get a miss…

In my experience.. query caches have a 0% hit rate.

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 6:40 PM, Robert Coli <> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 6:06 PM, Kevin Burton <> wrote:
>> you know.. one thing I failed to mention.. .is that this is going into a
>> "bucket" and while it's a logical row, the physical row is like 500MB …
>> according to compaction logs.
>> is the ENTIRE physical row going into the cache as one unit?  That's
>> definitely going to be a problem in this model.  500MB is a big atomic unit.
> Yes, the row cache is a row cache. It caches what the storage engine calls
> rows, which CQL calls "partitions." [1] Rows have to be assembled from all
> of their row fragments in Memtables/SSTables.
> This is a big part of why the "off-heap" row cache's behavior of
> invalidation on write is so bad for its overall performance. Updating a
> single column in your 500MB row invalidates it and forces you to assemble
> the entire 500MB row from disk.
> The only valid use case for the current off-heap row cache seems to be :
> very small, very uniform in size, very hot, and very rarely modified.
> Is the ticket for replacing the row cache and its unexpected
> characteristics with something more like an actual query cache.
> also.. I assume it's having to do a binary search within the physical row
>> ?
> Since the column level bloom filter's removal in 1.2, the only way it can
> get to specific columns is via the index.
> =Rob
> [1]

Location: *San Francisco, CA*
… or check out my Google+ profile