From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra use cases/Strengths/Weakness
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2014 22:37:42 GMT
Elasticsearch and Solr are “search platforms”, not “databases”. The best description
for Cassandra, especially for a CTO, is its home page:
http://cassandra.apache.org/
Even if you have seen it before, please read it again. There is a lot packed into a few words.

DataStax Enterprise (DSE) combines Cassandra, Hadoop and Spark for analytics, and tightly
integrated Solr for rich search of the Cassandra data.

The main, biggest benefit of Cassandra is that it is a master-free distributed real-time database
designed for scale, including support for multiple data centers, so that it is ready for managing
mission critical operational data, for applications that need low latency and high availability
for real-time data access.

And OpsCenter is great for managing a Cassandra or DSE cluster. I’m sure a CTO would appreciate
it:
http://www.datastax.com/what-we-offer/products-services/datastax-opscenter

Here’s a feature comparison of some NoSQL databases:
http://kkovacs.eu/cassandra-vs-mongodb-vs-couchdb-vs-redis

-- Jack Krupansky

From: Prem Yadav
Sent: Friday, July 4, 2014 10:37 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Cassandra use cases/Strengths/Weakness

Hi,
I have seen this in a lot of replies that Cassandra is not designed for this and that. I don't
want to sound rude, i just need some info about this so that i can compare it to technologies
like hbase, mongo, elasticsearch, solr, etc.

1) what is Cassandra designed for. Heave writes yes. So is Hbase. Or ElasticSearch
What is the use case(s) that suit Cassandra.

2) What kind of queries are best suited for Cassandra.
I ask this Because I have seen people asking about queries and getting replies that its not
suited for Cassandra. For ex: queries where large number of rows are requested and timeout
happens. Or range queries or aggregate queries.

3) Where does Cassandra excel compared to other technologies?

I have been working on Casandra for some time. I know how it works and I like it very much.

We are moving towards building a big cluster. But at this point, I am not sure if its a right
decision.

A lot of people including me like Cassandra in my company. But it has more to do with the
CQL and not the internals or the use cases. Until now, there have been small PoCs and people
enjoyed it. But a large scale project, we are not so sure.

Please guide us.
Please note that the drawbacks of other technologies do not interest me, its the strengths/weaknesses
of Cassandra I am interested in.
Thanks