From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: problem removing dead node from ring
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2014 18:09:11 GMT
On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Curious Patient <mongomaven@gmail.com>
wrote:

> In nodetool ring, if you're not using vnodes, only one token should be
>> listed with both the IP of the old node and the status Down.
>> If you are using vnodes, it's a comma delimited list in initial_token,
>> which you can get from :
>> nodetool info -T | grep Token | awk '{print $3}' | paste -s -d,
>

> Oh, I'm seeing a lot of tokens for each node. So that means I am using
> vnodes I guess? Really sorry I am just starting to try to really learn
> cassandra. Still new at the game, however.

The default in current configs is to use 256 vnodes per physical node.

I always recommend specifying the full list of tokens in use in the
initial_token in the conf file, as a comma delimited list in the case of
vnodes. It helps in an assortment of operational cases.

Then, once that is done, wipe the data dirs again and use replace_address!

=Rob