From Matthew Allen <>
Subject Re: problem removing dead node from ring
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2014 22:48:38 GMT
Just out of curiosity, for a dead node, would it be possible to just

 - replace the node (no data in data/commit dirs), same IP Address, same
 - restore the cassandra.yaml (initial_token etc)
 - set auto_bootstrap:false
 - start it up and then run a nodetool rebuild ?

Or would the Host ID value change with the new node ?

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 4:09 AM, Robert Coli <> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Curious Patient <>
> wrote:
>> In nodetool ring, if you're not using vnodes, only one token should be
>>> listed with both the IP of the old node and the status Down.
>>> If you are using vnodes, it's a comma delimited list in initial_token,
>>> which you can get from :
>>> nodetool info -T | grep Token | awk '{print $3}' | paste -s -d,
>> Oh, I'm seeing a lot of tokens for each node. So that means I am using
>> vnodes I guess? Really sorry I am just starting to try to really learn
>> cassandra. Still new at the game, however.
> The default in current configs is to use 256 vnodes per physical node.
> I always recommend specifying the full list of tokens in use in the
> initial_token in the conf file, as a comma delimited list in the case of
> vnodes. It helps in an assortment of operational cases.
> Then, once that is done, wipe the data dirs again and use replace_address!
> =Rob

View raw message