From Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: Consolidating records and TTL
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2014 22:55:17 GMT
On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Charlie Mason <charlie.mas@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't do the initial account insert with a TTL as I can't guarantee when
> a new value would come along and so replace this account record. However
> when I insert the new account record, instead of deleting the old one could
> I reinsert it with a TTL of say 1 month.
>
> How would compaction handle this. Would the original record get compacted
> away after 1 month + the GC Grace period or would it hang around still?

Yes, after 1 month + gc_grace, it will be eligible for removal during
compaction.  Of course, a compaction on that sstable still has to take
place before it can be removed.  If you're using
SizeTieredCompactionStrategy (the default) and have a lot of data, that may
take a few more days.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>