From Ben Bromhead <...@instaclustr.com>
Subject Re: EBS SSD <-> Cassandra ?
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2014 03:27:53 GMT
http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/1.2/cassandra/architecture/architecturePlanningEC2_c.html

From the link:

EBS volumes are not recommended for Cassandra data volumes for the following reasons:

	• EBS volumes contend directly for network throughput with standard packets. This means
that EBS throughput is likely to fail if you saturate a network link.
	• EBS volumes have unreliable performance. I/O performance can be exceptionally slow, causing
the system to back load reads and writes until the entire cluster becomes unresponsive.
	• Adding capacity by increasing the number of EBS volumes per host does not scale. You
can easily surpass the ability of the system to keep effective buffer caches and concurrently
serve requests for all of the data it is responsible for managing.

Still applies, especially the network contention and latency issues.

Ben Bromhead
Instaclustr | www.instaclustr.com | @instaclustr | +61 415 936 359

On 18 Jun 2014, at 7:18 pm, Daniel Chia <danchia@coursera.org> wrote:

> While they guarantee IOPS, they don't really make any guarantees about latency. Since
EBS goes over the network, there's so many things in the path of getting at your data, I would
be concerned with random latency spikes, unless proven otherwise.

> Thanks,
> Daniel
>

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 1:58 AM, Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime@gmail.com> wrote:
> In this document it is said :
>
> Provisioned IOPS (SSD) - Volumes of this type are ideal for the most demanding I/O intensive,
transactional workloads and large relational or NoSQL databases. This volume type provides
the most consistent performance and allows you to provision the exact level of performance
you need with the most predictable and consistent performance. With this type of volume you
provision exactly what you need, and pay for what you provision. Once again, you can achieve
up to 48,000 IOPS by connecting multiple volumes together using RAID.

> Hi,
>
> I just saw this : http://aws.amazon.com/fr/blogs/aws/new-ssd-backed-elastic-block-storage/
>
> Since the problem with EBS was the network, there is no chance that this hardware architecture
might be useful alongside Cassandra, right ?