From Michael Shuler <mich...@pbandjelly.org>
Subject Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: cassandra-aws project
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2014 15:25:44 GMT
On 06/06/2014 09:57 AM, Oleg Dulin wrote:
> I'd like to announce a pet project I started:
> https://github.com/olegdulin/cassandra-aws

Cool  :)

https://github.com/riptano/ComboAMI is the DataStax AMI repo.

> What I would like to accomplish as an end-goal is an Amazon marketplace
> AMI that makes it easy to configure a new Cassandra cluster or add new
> nodes to an existing Cassandra cluster, w/o having to jump through
> hoops. Ideally I'd like to do for Cassandra what RDS does for PostgreSQL
> in AWS, for instance, but I am not sure if ultimately it is possible.

Is there something that ComboAMI doesn't cover for your needs or is
there some area that could be improved upon?

> To get started, I shared some notes in the wiki as well as a couple of
> scripts I used to simplify things for myself. I put those scripts
> together from input I received on the #cassandra IRC channel and this
> mailing list and I am very greatful to the community for helping me
> through this -- so this is my contribution back.
>
> Consider this email as a solicitation for help. I am open to
> discussions, and contributions, and suggestions, anything you can help
> with.

Would it be less overall work to implement changes you'd like to see by
contributing them to ComboAMI?

I fully support lots of variations of tools - whatever makes things
easiest for people to do exactly what they need, or in languages they're
comfortable with, etc.

--
Michael