From Michael Theroux <mthero...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: VPC AWS
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2014 18:51:30 GMT
You can have a ring spread across EC2 and the public subnet of a VPC.  That is how we did
our migration.  In our case, we simply replaced the existing EC2 node with a new instance
in the public VPC, restored from a backup taken right before the switch.

-Mike

________________________________
 From: Aiman Parvaiz <aiman@shift.com>
To: Michael Theroux <mtheroux2@yahoo.com>
Cc: "user@cassandra.apache.org" <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: VPC AWS

Thanks for this info Michael. As far as restoring node in public VPC is concerned I was thinking
( and I might be wrong here) if we can have a ring spread across EC2 and public subnet of
a VPC, this way I can simply decommission nodes in Ec2 as I gradually introduce new nodes
in public subnet of VPC and I will end up with a ring in public subnet and then migrate them
from public to private in a similar way may be.

If anyone has any experience/ suggestions with this please share, would really appreciate
it.

Aiman

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Michael Theroux <mtheroux2@yahoo.com> wrote:

The implementation of moving from EC2 to a VPC was a bit of a juggling act.  Our motivation
was two fold:

>1) We were running out of static IP addresses, and it was becoming increasingly difficult
in EC2 to design around limiting the number of static IP addresses to the number of public
IP addresses EC2 allowed
>2) VPC affords us an additional level of security that was desirable.
>

>However, we needed to consider the following limitations:
>

>1) By default, you have a limited number of available public IPs for both EC2 and VPC.

>2) AWS security groups need to be configured to allow traffic for Cassandra to/from instances
in EC2 and the VPC.

>You are correct at the high level that the migration goes from EC2->Public VPC (VPC
with an Internet Gateway)->Private VPC (VPC with a NAT).  The first phase was moving instances
to the public VPC, setting broadcast and seeds to the public IPs we had available.  Basically:

>1) Take down a node, taking a snapshot for a backup
>
>2) Restore the node on the public VPC, assigning it to the correct security group, manually
setting the seeds to other available nodes
>3) Verify the cluster can communicate
>4) Repeat
>

>Realize the NAT instance on the private subnet will also require a public IP.  What got
really interesting is that near the end of the process we ran out of available IPs, requiring
us to switch the final node that was on EC2 directly to the private VPC (and taking down two
nodes at once, which our setup allowed given we had 6 nodes with an RF of 3).

>What we did, and highly suggest for the switch, is to write down every step that has to
happen on every node during the switch.  In our case, many of the moved nodes required slightly
different configurations for items like the seeds.

>Its been a couple of years, so my memory on this maybe a little fuzzy :)
>

>-Mike
>

>________________________________

same. I envision things happening on the same lines as you mentioned.
>I would be grateful if you could please throw some more light on how you went about switching
cassandra nodes from public subnet to private with out any downtime.
>I have not started on this project yet, still in my research phase. I plan to have a ec2+public
VPC cluster and then decomission ec2 nodes to have everything in public subnet, next would
be to move it to private subnet.

>Thanks
>

>On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 8:14 AM, Michael Theroux <mtheroux2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>We personally use the EC2Snitch, however, we don't have the multi-region requirements
you do,

>>-Mike
>>

>>________________________________

kind of gateway bridge instance that sits between, acting as a NAT.   I would think that
would cause new challenges for:

>>>-transitions
>>>-clients
>>>
>>>Sorry this response isn't heavy on content!  I'm curious how this thread goes...
>>>

>>>Will
>>>

>>>On Thursday, June 5, 2014, Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Hi guys,

VPC cluster. We are using Cassandra 1.2.11 and I have some questions regarding this switch
and the Cassandra configuration inside a VPC.

some people are already using VPC. If you can point me to any documentation regarding VPC
/ Cassandra, it would be very nice of you. We have only one DC for now, but we need to remain
multi DC compatible, since we will add DC very soon.

change the snitch to anything else.

private ones for listen address. Machines inside the VPC will only have private IP AFAIK.
Should I keep using a broadcast address ?