From Michael Theroux <mthero...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: VPC AWS
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2014 15:14:27 GMT
We personally use the EC2Snitch, however, we don't have the multi-region requirements you do,

-Mike

________________________________
 From: Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime@gmail.com>
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, June 5, 2014 9:14 AM
Subject: Re: VPC AWS

I think you can define VPC subnet to be public (to have public + private IPs) or private only.

Any insight regarding snitches ? What snitch do you guys use ?

I don't think traffic will flow between "classic" ec2 and vpc directly. There is some kind
of gateway bridge instance that sits between, acting as a NAT.   I would think that would
cause new challenges for:

>-transitions
>-clients
>
>Sorry this response isn't heavy on content!  I'm curious how this thread goes...
>

>Will
>

>On Thursday, June 5, 2014, Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Hi guys,
>>

>>We are going to move from a cluster made of simple Amazon EC2 servers to a VPC cluster.
We are using Cassandra 1.2.11 and I have some questions regarding this switch and the Cassandra
configuration inside a VPC.

>>Actually I found no documentation on this topic, but I am quite sure that some people
are already using VPC. If you can point me to any documentation regarding VPC / Cassandra,
it would be very nice of you. We have only one DC for now, but we need to remain multi DC
compatible, since we will add DC very soon.

>>Else, I would like to know if I should keep using EC2MultiRegionSnitch or change the
snitch to anything else.

>>What about broadcast/listen ip, seeds...?
>>

>>We currently use public ip as for broadcast address and for seeds. We use private
ones for listen address. Machines inside the VPC will only have private IP AFAIK. Should I
keep using a broadcast address ?