From Idrén, Johan <Johan.Id...@dice.se>
Subject RE: memtable mem usage off by 10?
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2014 11:55:19 GMT
Ok, so the overhead is a constant modifier, right.

The 3x I arrived at with the following assumptions:

heap is 10GB

Default memory for memtable usage is 1/4 of heap in c* 2.0

max memory used for memtables is 2,5GB (10/4)

flush_largest_memtables_at is 0.75

flush largest memtables when memtables use 7,5GB (3/4 of heap, 3x of the default)

With an overhead of 10x, it makes sense that my memtable is flushed when the jmx data says
it is at ~250MB, ie 2,5GB, ie 1/4 of the heap

After I've set the memtable_total_size_in_mb to a value larger than 7,5GB, it should still
not go over 7,5GB on account of flush_largest_memtables_at, 3/4 the heap

So I would expect to see memtables flushed to disk after they're being reportedly at around
750MB.

Having memtable_total_size_in_mb set to 20480, memtables are flushed at a reported value of
~2GB.

With a constant overhead, this would mean that it used 20GB, which is 2x the size of the heap,
instead of 3/4 of the heap as it should be if flush_largest_memtables_at was being respected.

This shouldn't be possible.