From Ben Bromhead <...@instaclustr.com>
Subject Re: autoscaling cassandra cluster
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 17:08:34 GMT
The mechanics for it are simple compared to figuring out when to scale, especially when you
want to be scaling before peak load on your cluster (adding and removing nodes puts additional
load on your cluster).

We are currently building our own in-house solution for this for our customers. If you want
to have a go at it yourself, this is a good starting point:

http://techblog.netflix.com/2013/11/scryer-netflixs-predictive-auto-scaling.html
http://techblog.netflix.com/2013/12/scryer-netflixs-predictive-auto-scaling.html

Most of this is fairly specific to Netflix, but an interesting read nonetheless.

Datastax OpsCenter also provides capacity planning and forecasting and can provide an easy
set of metrics you can make your scaling decisions on.

http://www.datastax.com/what-we-offer/products-services/datastax-opscenter

Ben Bromhead
Instaclustr | www.instaclustr.com | @instaclustr | +61 415 936 359

On 21/05/2014, at 7:51 AM, James Horey <jlh@opencore.io> wrote:

> If you're interested and/or need some Cassandra docker images let me know I'll shoot
you a link.

> James
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 21, 2014, at 10:19 AM, Jabbar Azam <ajazam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That sounds interesting.   I was thinking of using coreos with docker containers
for the business logic, frontend and Cassandra. I'll also have a look at cassandra-mesos

>> Thanks
>>
>> Jabbar Azam
>>
>> On 21 May 2014 14:04, "Panagiotis Garefalakis" <pangaref@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree with Prem, but recently a guy send this promising project called Mesos in
this list.
>> https://github.com/mesosphere/cassandra-mesos
>> One of its goals is to make scaling easier.
>> I don’t have any personal opinion yet but maybe you could give it a try.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Panagiotis
>>

>> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Jabbar Azam <ajazam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Prem,
>>
>> I'm trying to find out whether people are autoscaling up and down automatically,
not manually. I'm also interested in whether they are using a cloud based solution and creating
and destroying instances.

>> I've found the following regarding GCE https://cloud.google.com/developers/articles/auto-scaling-on-the-google-cloud-platform
and how instances can be created and destroyed.

>> Thanks
>>
>> Jabbar Azam
>>

>> On 21 May 2014 13:09, Prem Yadav <ipremyadav@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jabbar,
>> with vnodes, scaling up should not be a problem. You could just add a machines with
the cluster/seed/datacenter conf and it should join the cluster.
>> Scaling down has to be manual where you drain the node and decommission it.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Prem
>>

>> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 12:35 PM, Jabbar Azam <ajazam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Has anybody got a cassandra cluster which autoscales depending on load or times of
the day?

>> I've seen the documentation on the datastax website and that only mentioned adding
and removing nodes, unless I've missed something.

>> I want to know how to do this for the google compute engine. This isn't for a production
system but a test system(multiple nodes) where I want to learn. I'm not sure how to check
the performance of the cluster, whether I use one performance metric or a mix of performance
metrics and then invoke a script to add or remove nodes from the cluster.