From Colin <colpcl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: vcdiff/bmdiff , cassandra , and the ordered partitioner…
Date Sun, 18 May 2014 03:59:08 GMT
Cassandra offers compression out of the box.  Look into the options available upon table creation.

The use of orderedpartitioner is an anti-pattern 999/1000 times.  It creates hot spots - the
use of wide rows can often accomplish the same result through the use of clustering columns.

--
Colin
320-221-9531

> On May 17, 2014, at 10:15 PM, Kevin Burton <burton@spinn3r.com> wrote:
>
> So  I see that Cassandra doesn't support bmdiff/vcdiff.
>
> Is this primarily because most people aren't using the ordered partitioner?
>
> bmdiff gets good compression by storing similar content next to each page on disk.  So
lots of HTML content would compress well.

> but if everything is being stored at random locations, you wouldn't get that bump in
storage / compression reduction.