From Viktor Jevdokimov <Viktor.Jevdoki...@adform.com>
Subject RE: Is the updating compaction strategy from 'sized tiered' to 'leveled' automatic or need to be done manually?
Date Mon, 05 May 2014 06:28:24 GMT

From: Yatong Zhang [mailto:blueflycn@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 4, 2014 5:22 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Is the updating compaction strategy from 'sized tiered' to 'leveled' automatic or
need to be done manually? [heur]

Hi there,

I am updating compaction strategy from 'sized tiered' to 'leveled' and from http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/leveled-compaction-in-apache-cassandra
it is said:
When updating an existing column family, reads and writes can continue as usual while leveling
of existing sstables is performed in the background.

But I still see many old sstables with very large size and an old file date. So I am wondering
is the updating of compaction done automatically? If yes, is there an estimate of time it
will take? If not, what's the steps to do it manually?
I've googled a lot but can't find something helpful. Thanks for any feedbacks and any help
is of great appreciation.