From Redmumba <redmu...@gmail.com>
Subject Drop in node replacements.
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2014 22:24:11 GMT
Is it possible to have true "drop in" node replacements?  For example, I
have a cluster of 51 Cassandra nodes, 17 in each data center.  I had one
host go down on DC3, and when it came back up, it joined the ring, etc.,
but was not receiving any data.  Even after multiple restarts and forcing a
repair on the entire fleet, it still holds maybe ~30MB on a cluster that is
absorbing ~1.2TB a day.

On top of that, I decided to see if I could recreate it--by taking down a
node, reprovisioning it, and then throwing it back in WITHOUT having it
"take over" the old node's tokens, it never seems to ever absorb any of the
old data after a full repair, and it never seems to start loading new data
(I now have 3 nodes using ~30MB).

Am I doing something wrong?  I would imagine a repair on the entire cluster
(across 3 DCs) would force C* to put some copies onto the other node--but
this doesn't seem to be the case.  What can I do?

Andrew