From Brandon McCauslin <bm3...@gmail.com>
Subject Migrating to new datacenter
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2014 16:25:28 GMT
We're currently running a small 5 node 2.0.5 cluster in a single datacenter
using the SimpleStrategy replication strategy with replication factor of 3.
 We want to migrate our data from our current datacenter to a new
datacenter, without incurring any downtime or data loss.  There is no plan
to maintain or keep the old (current) datacenter after the migration is
complete.  I'm wondering how best to go about this migration.

*Shoud We:*

   1. add a 2nd datacenter as described here - "Adding a datacenter to
   cluster<http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/operations/ops_add_dc_to_cluster_t.html>",
   then decommission the 1st
datacenter<http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/operations/ops_decomission_dc_t.html>.
    Can we even do this given we're currently setup with SimpleStrategy
   replication?
   2. or should we just start adding new nodes from the new datacenter to
   our existing cluster as described
here<http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/operations/ops_add_node_to_cluster_t.html>?
    Then once we've added all the new nodes, start decommissioning all the old
   nodes from the old/current datacenter as described
here<http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/operations/ops_remove_node_t.html>
   .

Thanks for your help and time!