From Brandon McCauslin <bm3...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migrating to new datacenter
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2014 17:48:21 GMT
Thanks for the confirmation on the approach.  The new dc is not yet ready,
but while I'm waiting I was thinking about updating the existing dc's
replication strategy from "SimpleStrategy" to "NetworkTopologyStrategy".  I
also assume I'll need to update my snitch from the current SimpleSnitch to
PropertyFileSnitch.  Here's the steps I'm thinking:

  1. update snitch from SimpleSnitch to PropertyFileSnitch
       - edit/create cassandra-topology.properties to enumerate all nodes
in current dc
 - change snitch in cassandra.yaml on all nodes
 - restart all nodes??
 - run full repair on keyspace
  2.  update replication from "SimpleStrategy" to "NetworkTopologyStrategy"
      a.  ALTER KEYSPACE cfs
             WITH REPLICATION = {'class' : 'NetworkTopologyStrategy', 'dc1'
: 3};
      b. nodetool repair cfs

Let me know if anything here sounds wrong.  Thanks!

 would like to start preparing the existing datacenter

 wondering if I could start updating the existing datacenter's replication
staconfiguration