From Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodr...@gmail.com>
Subject Upgrading Cassandra
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 15:56:10 GMT
Hi

As we are using Cassandra 1.2.11 and we will want to move to 2.1 as soon as
it will be released and considered stable enough, we will have to make a
few migrations :

1.2.11   --> 1.2.last (16 currently)
1.2.last -->  2.0.last
2.0.last -->  2.1.last

The point is we ran into a lot of migrations since we started (C* 0.7 -->
0.8 --> 1.0 --> 1.1 --> 1.2). Not even one of our migration went totally
well. Even if we never lost any data, which is a very important thing, we
never upgraded Cassandra smoothly either. We are supposed to be able to do
it through a rolling restart. We never could. We always ran into errors and
ended restarting the whole cluster.

I supposed we are not the only ones in this case since I remember a Spotify
conference "How not to use Cassandra" were they expressed the same kind of
problems.

My question is quite simple:

Since we use AWS EC2 instances, Is it possible to upgrade Cassandra through
a new DC as it is recommended while switching to vnodes ?

(
http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/1.2/cassandra/configuration/configVnodesProduction_t.html
)

I think that if it is possible, we would make the first minor upgrade
through rolling restart (those one are generally smooth enough) and the 2
major upgrades through "DC migrations".

Alain