From Jan Algermissen <jan.algermis...@nordsc.com>
Subject Re: Using C* and CAS to coordinate workers
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 10:42:26 GMT

On 04 Apr 2014, at 11:18, prem yadav <ipremyadav@gmail.com> wrote:

> Though cassandra can work but to me it looks like you could use a persistent queue for
example (rabbitMQ) to implement this. All your workers can subscribe to a queue.
> In fact, why not just MySQL?

Hey, I have got a C* cluster that can (potentially) do CAS.

Why would I set up a MySQL cluster to solve that problem?

And yeah, I could use a queue or redis or whatnot, but I want to avoid yet another moving
part :-)

Jan

> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 11:44 PM, Jan Algermissen <jan.algermissen@nordsc.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> maybe someone knows a nice solution to the following problem:
>
> I have N worker processes that are intentionally masterless and do not know about each
other - they are stateless and independent instances of a given service system.

> These workers need to poll an event feed, say about every 10 seconds and persist a state
after processing the polled events so the next worker knows where to continue processing events.

> I would like to use C*’s CAS feature to coordinate the workers and protect the shared
state (a row or cell in  a C* key space, too).