From Chris Lohfink <clohf...@blackbirdit.com>
Subject Re: nodetool hangs
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2014 15:38:31 GMT
The way RMI (which JMX uses, which is what nodetool uses) works is it will first connect, then
send a address/port back over the wire for it to make a new 2nd connection too.  This will
be potentially to a different address then 127.0.0.1 (can override with -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=<public
name> in /etc/cassandra/cassandra-env.sh) and a random port.  Likely the 2nd connection
is whats timing out.  JMX makes firewalls and sysadmins very frustrated :)

---
Chris Lohfink

On Apr 24, 2014, at 7:05 AM, Jacob Rhoden <jacob.rhoden@me.com> wrote:

> I’ve done an install on an amazon instance, and for some strange reason I can telnet
to the JMX port, but node tool just hangs and doesn’t do anything. I am hoping I’m overlooking
something simple that someone could help me point out? Thanks (: