From Dennis Schwan <dennis.sch...@1und1.de>
Subject Re: Point in Time Recovery
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2014 08:21:42 GMT
Hi Rob,

we need this for the worst case scenario, so our intention is to restore the entire cluster,
not a single node.
I am really not sure what the correct procedure would be. I think we have configured everything
properly so the nodes are archiving the commitlogs (even though I am not sure when exactly
a single commitlog gets archived) but we could not manage to recover a database from those
archived commitlogs. What we did was:

1. Insert "good" data into the cluster
2. Take a snapshot
3. Insert "good" data into the cluster
4. Note Timestamp
5. Insert "bad" data into the cluster
6. Shut down whole cluster
7. Delete SSTables and restore from snapshot
8. Set Timestamp in commitlog_archiving.properties and restart the nodes

The archived commitlogs are copied to the restore directory and afterwards cassandra is replaying
those commitlogs but still we only see the data from the snapshot, not the commitlogs.

Regards,
Dennis

P.S.: Cassandra 2.0.6