From Michael Shuler <mich...@pbandjelly.org>
Subject Re: binary protocol server side sockets
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 17:25:36 GMT
On 04/09/2014 11:39 AM, graham sanderson wrote:
> Thanks, but I would think that just sets keep alive from the client end;
> I’m talking about the server end… this is one of those issues where
> there is something (e.g. switch, firewall, VPN in between the client and
> the server) and we get left with orphaned established connections to the
> server when the client is gone.

There would be no server setting for any service, not just c*, that
would correct mis-configured connection-assassinating network gear
between the client and server. Fix the gear to allow persistent connections.

Digging through the various timeouts in c*.yaml didn't lead me to a
simple answer for something tunable, but I think this may be more basic
networking related. I believe it's up to the client to keep the
connection open as Duy indicated. I don't think c* will arbitrarily
sever connections - something that disconnects the client may happen. In
that case, the TCP connection on the server should drop to TIME_WAIT. Is
this what you are seeing in `netstat -a` on the server - a bunch of
TIME_WAIT connections hanging around? Those should eventually be
recycled, but that's tunable in the network stack, if they are being
generated at a high rate.

--
Michael