From Chris Lohfink <clohf...@blackbirdit.com>
Subject Re: nodetool hangs
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2014 19:22:57 GMT
Wow… wheres this been all my life.  I don’t see why this can’t be set by default?  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-7087

---
Chris Lohfink

On Apr 24, 2014, at 11:48 AM, Steven A Robenalt <srobenal@stanford.edu> wrote:

> There's a little-known change in the way JMX uses ports that was add to JDK7u4 which
simplifies the use of JMX in a firewalled environment.

> The standard RMI registry port for JMX is controlled by the com.sun.management.jmxremote.port
property. The change to Java 7 was to introduce the related com.sun.management.jmxremote.rmi.port
property, Setting this second property means that JMX will use that second port, rather than
a randomly assigned port, for making the actual connection. This solution works well in the
AWS VPC environment that I'm running in, and I've heard of others using it successfully as
well.

> Steve
>

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Chris Lohfink <clohfink@blackbirdit.com> wrote:
> The way RMI (which JMX uses, which is what nodetool uses) works is it will first connect,
then send a address/port back over the wire for it to make a new 2nd connection too.  This
will be potentially to a different address then 127.0.0.1 (can override with -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=<public
name> in /etc/cassandra/cassandra-env.sh) and a random port.  Likely the 2nd connection
is whats timing out.  JMX makes firewalls and sysadmins very frustrated :)

> ---
> Chris Lohfink
>

> On Apr 24, 2014, at 7:05 AM, Jacob Rhoden <jacob.rhoden@me.com> wrote:
>
>> I’ve done an install on an amazon instance, and for some strange reason I can telnet
to the JMX port, but node tool just hangs and doesn’t do anything. I am hoping I’m overlooking
something simple that someone could help me point out? Thanks (: