From Arindam Barua <aba...@247-inc.com>
Subject RE: Migrating Cassandra to New Nodes
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 07:41:43 GMT

What you have described below should work just fine.
When I was replacing nodes in my ring, I ended up creating a new datacenter with the new nodes,
but I was upgrading to vnodes too at the time.

-Arindam

From: nash [mailto:nashef@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2014 10:52 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Migrating Cassandra to New Nodes

I have a new set of nodes and I'd like to migrate my entire cluster onto them without any
downtime. I believe that I can launch the new cluster and have them join the ring and then
use nodetool to decommission the old nodes one at a time. But, I'm wondering what is the safest
way to update the seeds in the cassandra.yaml files? AFAICT, there is nothing particularly
special about the choices of seeds? So, prior to starting decom, I was figuring I could update
all the seeds to some subset of the new cluster. Is that reliable?

TIA,

--nash