Are you on Cassandra 1.2 and can utilize the trace functionality?  Might be an informative route.

Ken

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Joel Samuelsson <samuelsson.joel@gmail.com> wrote:
I try to fetch all the row keys from a column family (there should only be a couple of hundred in that CF) in several different ways but I get timeouts whichever way I try:

Through the cassandra cli:
Fetching 45 rows is fine:
list cf limit 46 columns 0;
.
.
.
45 Rows Returned.
Elapsed time: 298 msec(s).

Fetching 46 rows however gives me a timeout after a minute or so:
list cf limit 46 columns 0;
null
TimedOutException()...

Through pycassa:
keys = cf.get_range(column_count = 1, buffer_size = 2)

for key, val in keys:
     print key

This prints some keys and then gets stuck at the same place each time and then timeouts.

The columns (column names + value) in the rows should be less than 100 bytes each, though there may be a lot of them on a particular row.

To me it seems like one of the rows take too long time to fetch but I don't know why since I am limitiing the number of columns to 0. Without seeing the row, I have a hard time knowing what could be wrong. Do you have any ideas?

--
Ken Hancock | System Architect, Advanced Advertising
SeaChange International

SeaChange International
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is SeaChange International confidential. The information enclosed is intended only for the addressees herein and may not be copied or forwarded without permission from SeaChange International.