From Drew from Zhrodague <drewzhroda...@zhrodague.net>
Subject Re: Opscenter help?
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2014 18:52:01 GMT
	I have to reply to myself, since there were no helpful responses.
Perhaps these notes can help other people from pulling their hair out.

	When installing the datastax-agent on EL6, it is required to do a bunch
of things to correct a bunch of stuff.

	[] yum install mx4j log4j datastax-agent - do not install
opscenter-agent, this is a stale/old package it seems. Ignore log4j
errors on starting the agent. You may have to download the
datastax-agent and force an install via rpm - it will conflict with
sudo, because of the existance of the dir, /etc/sudo.d/
	[] You may have to fix the UID/GIDs. Older packages set the cassandra
UID/GID both to 217. Installing the agent conveniently mutilated them
for us. I had to change the datastax-agent UID and GID back to 215,
cassnandra UID/GID back to 217, and re-chown these directories:
		() /var/log/cassandra
		() /var/lib/cassandra
		() /var/run/cassandra
		() /var/log/datastax-agent
		() /var/lib/datastax-agent
		() /var/run/datastax-agent
	[] If you can't get datastax-agent to install via opscenter
automatically, you'll need to configure it manually:
		() yum install datastax-agent
		() mkdir -p /var/lib/datastax-agent/conf/
		() echo "stomp_interface: 10.113.143.189" >>
/var/lib/datastax-agent/conf/address.yaml
	[] restart the datastax-agent, and it should now work.

	Cassandra Upgrading notes:

	[] We upgraded packages from apache-cassandra11 to cassandra12 - the
new RPM is not configured as a replacement for the old one.
	[] Check your directory permissions as above, and in your data-storage dir.
	[] If you use a symlink or mount point to store your actual data on, it
will be overwritten with an empty directory. Make sure to fix this, or
you'll be in for a surprise.
	[] Make sure to install Sun Java - we use alternatives --config java,
but have to do this to set the default JAVA_HOME: echo "export
JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_51" >> /etc/profile.d/other-java.sh

	I wasn't able to properly tag my questions on StackExchange, which
required me to have a reputation value above 300. I dunno why it brought
up that red box stating that I needed to have over 300 points to add a
new tag, those tags seem to be in there today.

--

Drew from Zhrodague
post-apocalyptic ad-hoc industrialist