Glad it helps.

Good luck with this.

Cheers,

Alain

Thank you Alain! That was exactly what I was looking for. I was worried I'd have to do a rolling restart to change the snitch.

Katriel

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, we did this exact same operation here too, with no issue.

Contrary to Paulo we did not modify our snitch.

We simply added a "dc_suffix" in the property in cassandra-rackdc.properties conf file for nodes in the new cluster :

# Add a suffix to a datacenter name. Used by the Ec2Snitch and Ec2MultiRegionSnitch

# to append a string to the EC2 region name.

dc_suffix=-xl

So our new cluster DC is basically : eu-west-xl

I think this is less risky, at least it is easier to do.

Hope this help.

We had a similar situation and what we did was first migrate the 1.1 cluster to GossipingPropertyFileSnitch, making sure that for each node we specified the correct availability zone as the rack in the cassandra-rackdc.properties. In this way, the GossipingPropertyFileSnitch is equivalent to the EC2MultiRegionSnitch, so the data location does not change and no repair is needed afterwards. So, if your nodes are located in the us-east-1e AZ, your cassandra-rackdc.properties should look like:

dc=us-east
rack=1e

After this step is complete on all nodes, then you can add a new datacenter specifying different dc and rack on the cassandra-rackdc.properties of the new DC. Make sure you upgrade your initial datacenter to 1.2 before adding a new datacenter with vnodes enabled (of course).

Cheers