From Ted Pearson <...@addthis.com>
Subject ring describe returns only public ips
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2014 20:17:23 GMT
We are using Cassandra 1.2.13 in a multi-datacenter setup. We are using Astyanax as the client,
and we’d like to enable its token aware connection pool type and ring describe node discovery
type. Unfortunately, I’ve found that both thrift’s describe_ring and `nodetool ring` only
report the public IPs of the cassandra nodes. This means that Astyanax tries to reconnect
to the public IPs of each node, which doesn’t work and just results in no hosts being available
for queries according to Astyanax.

I know from `nodetool gossipinfo` (and the fact that the clusters work) that it's sharing
the LOCAL_IP via gossip, but have no idea how or if it’s possible to get describe_ring to
return local IPs, or if there is some alternative.

Thanks,

-Ted