From Jacob Rhoden <jacob.rho...@me.com>
Subject Re: Where to I start to get to the bottom of this WriteTimeout issue?
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2014 04:30:31 GMT
Hi Guys,

On 17 Feb 2014, at 3:13 pm, Thunder Stumpges <thunder.stumpges@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you are looking for write throughput and running on a VM you could likely have IO
issues with your virtual disks.. Best practices are to put the write ahead log on a separate
disk from the data folder(s). Not sure if you have done this or what physical setup you have
under the VM but I would also examine your IO while you are doing this. Is there other load
on the system either read or write while this is happening?

Good points! This is probably it. If my understanding of those timeout config settings are
correct (i.e. max 2 second write wait), then cassandra would be much more sensitive to times
of VPS disk or CPU contention on a virtual machine. That is to say, MySQL doesn’t error
out if your VPS freezes with CPU/Disk/Network contention for 2 seconds, but it seems that
cassandra would. Is my understanding correct?

Best regards,
Jacob