From Keith Wright <kwri...@nanigans.com>
Subject Re: Move to smaller nodes
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2014 19:22:23 GMT
Also there is one more option which is we could upgrade to 2.0 in the hopes that our issue
is fixed as part of the streaming overhaul.  But seeing as this is a production cluster and
2.0 does not yet appear production ready, that makes me nervous.

From: Keith Wright <kwright@nanigans.com<mailto:kwright@nanigans.com>>
Date: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at 2:18 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Cc: Don Jackson <djackson@nanigans.com<mailto:djackson@nanigans.com>>, Dave Carroll
<dcarroll@nanigans.com<mailto:dcarroll@nanigans.com>>
Subject: Re: Move to smaller nodes

Hi Rob, thanks for the response!  Interestingly if we run a repair we don’t see the bootstrap
issue so I am considering doing the empty node repair methodology.  Its just that it usually
takes a week for that to work.  As I see it, we could try the following to fix the bootstrap
issue:

 *   Update our JRE, we are using 1.7.0_17 and I believe we’re up to 1.7.0_54
 *   GC tuning as it does appear that we’re suffering from GC issues.  We could just allocate
more eden space and then revert after the bootstrap succeeds
 *   As I mentioned, don’t load data via bootstrap but instead use repair.  With bootstrap
disabled in Vnodes, will the node still assign itself tokens?

Thanks