From Brian Tarbox <tar...@cabotresearch.com>
Subject in AWS is it worth trying to talk to a server in the same zone as your client?
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2014 18:13:19 GMT
We're running a C* cluster with 6 servers spread across the four us-east1
zones.

We also spread our clients (hundreds of them) across the four zones.

Currently we give our clients a connection string listing all six servers
and let C* do its thing.

This is all working just fine...and we're paying a fair bit in AWS transfer
costs.  There is a suspicion that this transfer cost is driven by us
passing data around between our C* servers and clients.

Would there be any value to trying to get a client to talk to one of the C*
servers in its own zone?

I understand (at least partially!) about coordinator nodes and replication
and know that no matter which server is the coordinator for an operation
replication may cause bits to get transferred to/from servers in other
zones.  Having said that...is there a chance that trying to encourage a
client to initially contact a server in its own zone would help?

Thank you,

Brian Tarbox