From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Recommended OS
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2014 18:52:28 GMT
On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Jeffrey Kesselman <jeffpk@gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't run Cassandra in production myself, but for other high load Java
> based servers I've had really good scaling success with OpenSolaris.  In
> particular I've used Joyent's "SmartOS" which has the additional advantage
> of "bursting" to cover brief periods of exceptional load.

There are a significant number of Linux only optimizations in Cassandra.
Very few people operate production clusters on anything but Linux.

The most obvious optimization that comes to mind is the use of direct i/o
to avoid blowing out the page cache under various circumstances.

My approach towards running Cassandra on anything but Linux would be to try
to directly compare performance to the same hardware running Linux.

=Rob