From Ben Bromhead <...@instaclustr.com>
Subject Re: in AWS is it worth trying to talk to a server in the same zone as your client?
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2014 21:14:56 GMT
0.01/G between zones irrespective of IP is correct.

As for your original question, depending on the driver you are using you could write a custom
co-ordinator node selection policy.

For example if you are using the Datastax driver you would extend http://www.datastax.com/drivers/java/2.0/apidocs/com/datastax/driver/core/policies/LoadBalancingPolicy.html

… and set the distance based on which zone the node is in.

An alternate method would be to define the zones as data centres and then you could leverage
existing DC aware policies (We've never tried this though).

Ben Bromhead
Instaclustr | www.instaclustr.com | @instaclustr | +61 415 936 359

On 13/02/2014, at 8:00 AM, Andrey Ilinykh <ailinykh@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you are mistaken. It is true for the same zone. between zones 0.01/G
>

> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Russell Bradberry <rbradberry@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not when using private IP addresses.  That pricing ONLY applies if you are using the
public interface or EIP/ENI.  If you use the private IP addresses there is no cost associated.

> On February 12, 2014 at 3:13:58 PM, William Oberman (oberman@civicscience.com) wrote:
>
>> Same region, cross zone transfer is $0.01 / GB (see http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/,
Data Transfer section).

>> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 3:04 PM, Russell Bradberry <rbradberry@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Cross zone data transfer does not cost any extra money.
>>
>> LOCAL_QUORUM = QUORUM if all 6 servers are located in the same logical datacenter.

>> Ensure your clients are connecting to either the local IP or the AWS hostname that
is a CNAME to the local ip from within AWS.  If you connect to the public IP you will get
charged for outbound data transfer.

>> On February 12, 2014 at 2:58:07 PM, Yogi Nerella (ynerella999@gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>>> Also, may be you need to check the read consistency to local_quorum, otherwise
the servers still try to read the data from all other data centers.

>>> I can understand the latency, but I cant understand how it would save money?
  The amount of data transferred from the AWS server to the client should be same no matter
where the client is connected?

>>> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Andrey Ilinykh <ailinykh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> yes, sure. Taking data from the same zone will reduce latency and save you some
money.

>>> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Brian Tarbox <tarbox@cabotresearch.com>
wrote:
>>> We're running a C* cluster with 6 servers spread across the four us-east1 zones.
>>>
>>> We also spread our clients (hundreds of them) across the four zones.
>>>
>>> Currently we give our clients a connection string listing all six servers and
let C* do its thing.

>>> This is all working just fine...and we're paying a fair bit in AWS transfer costs.
 There is a suspicion that this transfer cost is driven by us passing data around between
our C* servers and clients.

>>> Would there be any value to trying to get a client to talk to one of the C* servers
in its own zone?

>>> I understand (at least partially!) about coordinator nodes and replication and
know that no matter which server is the coordinator for an operation replication may cause
bits to get transferred to/from servers in other zones.  Having said that...is there a chance
that trying to encourage a client to initially contact a server in its own zone would help?